When I was a kid, my parents used to dine with us at a vegetarian restaurant especially whenever Lenten season comes. The restaurant’s called Bodhi and they use Tofu as their meat alternative. Took us a couple of dine-ins before me and my sister found out about their secret! It was THAT GOOD! We were amazed how the texture and taste didn’t really tell any difference! (Or maybe we were still kids then? IDK!) I’d say my favorite dish from their menu was the Green curry. Too bad they’re not in business anymore.
My N&N’s aren’t really picky but love spontaneity with their food. So I researched how Bodhi did it and thought of ways on how to make them eat Tofu without hating me after! Here’s a quick and easy way on how to cook Tofu Nuggets at home!
- 1 block Tofu (firm or extra-firm, well-pressed)
- 1 pack plain or Garlic breading
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Press the Tofu. Gather the ingredients. Remove Tofu from its packaging.
- Place a small cutting board (or any flat-surfaced item) and add weight on top of the tofu.
- Gently pat the block of tofu dry and place it in between two layers of kitchen paper towels.
- Let the tofu sit for at least 30 minutes, replacing the paper towels when they become saturated.
- Once your tofu is pressed, slice it into 1-inch cubes or nuggets (about the size of a chicken nugget).
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg. Set aside.
- Prepare the breading. Mix Breading, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Italian Seasoning, salt, and pepper. Place it in a separate bowl.
- Place the panko breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.
It’s time to FRY!
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan (If you prefer to cook this in the air fryer, you may do so. Just fry it like how you fry your chicken/chicken nuggets).
- Take one piece of tofu and dip it in the beaten egg. Then carefully dip it in the breading mixture, dip it again in the beaten egg then place it on the breadcrumbs bowl until well coated. Add it to the pan and repeat this process.
- Turn the pieces of the Tofu often, until golden brown on all sides.
- Serve with shredded cabbage, salad, buttered corn, or any side dish you wish. Enjoy!
Got any recipe suggestions? Share it with me below!